Did you know that the current St Faith’s building is not the first one on Victoria Square?
When Lee-on-the-Solent was first planned, Victoria Square was set aside for a church – and a tin church was built in the 1880s.
The original St Faith’s building
In the early 1930s, plans were made for a new St Faith’s building. The foundation stone was laid on 16 May 1932, and the building was dedicated on 21 June 1933.
Laying of the foundation stone on 16 May 1932
The current building has changed over the years. The photos below shows the church in the 1950s, compared to St Faith’s today.
Victoria Square has also changed over the years. Originally there was just the tin church, then the current church building and the vicarage. In the 1970s the Lowry Room was added to the church, and in 2000 the building of the Bulson Hall completed the current Parish Centre.
For more information about the history of Lee-on-the-Solent, we recommend this book:
Exploring the History of Lee-on-the-Solent
John W Green & Robin A Money
Published by Chaplin Books
Why not purchase it from Lee Book Shop?
For more information about the history of St Faith’s, do download a booket produced for the 75th anniversary of the building, in 2008.